Day One – Lanzarote. Orzola to Tías
Here is the first of the daily posts that I will be adding on for Alan whilst he completes his walk.
If you would like a more “as it happens” update… then go to his Facebook page HERE and click “like”.
Alan and I were awake whilst it was still dark this morning… all set for his departure. He had been pacing the house for the last 3 or 4 weeks… very keen to get going – and was getting increasingly frustrated with waiting for the start date. However, a shoulder injury (caused by over enthusiastic dogs) a couple of weeks back meant that he really did need those last couple of weeks to be top notch.
So at 7am, the lovely Ray Allum of Agua Clara arrived, to drive Alan to his starting point at Orzola… and a little after 8am, Alan started walking. He is walking down the right hand side of Lanzarote.
This morning Alan was interviewed by TV Canarias… as he approached Punta Mujeres, and it was supposed to be broadcast at 2:30 this afternoon. However, unfortunately they did not include it so it may be on a later show. If it is… then I will upload it in this blog for you to watch. The enthusiasm with which the Spanish press and businesses have got involved is excellent! We must thank Irma from Yaiza te Informa for everything she has done to help this happen.
He was joined by Mitch Mitchell for a while this morning – who came armed with energy drinks for him. It’s a good job it’s easier for fellas to… erm… find a toilet than us ladies! Mitch left him at the Cactus Gardens and Alan is carrying on and making really good time.
- Mozaga 12:40pm
- Guatiza 1pm
- Tahiche 3pm (stopping for lunch)
- Tias – finishing at Ferrocur Tías for the day 6:30pm
45.27 kilometers / 9 hours 15 minutes 30 seconds / Ave speed 4.9kph / Top speed 6.5kph / Calories burned 3309
Once again a special thank you for the help we’ve received from the following individuals and companies;
- Mitch Mitchell – Lanzarote’s favourite personal trainer the ‘man in black’ for getting Alan’s fitness and stamina to optimum levels
- David White from Axia FX – for sponsoring Alan’s costs during the trek
- Ray from Agua Clara for paying for Alan’s water consumption during the trip
- Irma from Yaiza te Informa for all her help with the Spanish press
- Navira Armas – for sponsoring all ferry crossings during the charity walk
- … and of course to everyone who has donated sponsorship… and also prizes for the upcoming auction at Wax Bar
You can make a donation using the link below. And, if you’d like to offer some practical help here are a few ideas. Or, if you have some goods or talents you could contribute they’d be gratefully received for the Wax Bar charity auction. A list of the items available for the auction so far is HERE – and is updated as more lots are offered.