Here is a recap of Alan’s Day Five of his Siete Islas Charity Walk. It is the third part of the Fuerteventura section.
If you would like a more “as it happens” update… then go to the official Facebook page HERE and click “like”.
Firts of all… a couple of special thankyou messages to people who helped Alan last night in Nuevo Horizonte.
- John (Temple Bar, Corralejo) & his pal Gerard who organised Alan’s accommodation last night – very much appreciated!
- Anne at “Fabs” who fed Alan – and he loved the chips Anne, thanks!
- Richard Knight (Playa Blanca) who let us know that Kev and Ali from “Cloud 9” had a warm welcome waiting for Alan if he popped in. At one point he couldn’t find them, and was set to return to his accommodation – but he eventually did and had a lovely time. Thanks Kev and Al for looking after him.
Alan set off early today, with the plan of keeping as many hours free in case he felt able to do a 5o kilometer day. However, his back has continued to give him some trouble – and so he stayed sensible and cut the length down to 30 kilometers.
He stopped at a little industrial estate just northwest of Gran Tarajal, and that is where he will start from again tomorrow morning for another slog of a day. Tonight he staying at the Hostal Tamonante in Gran Tarajal – so no doubt he’ll upload a piccie of that later on. He has been out and had a bit of a wander about – and says it’s quite nice. Very Spanish… and he’s off to a Farmacia for some painkillers… and then out for a bite to eat.
- Leave Nuevo Horizonte – 7:30am
- Level with Pozo Negro – 11:30am
- About 10 kilometers left until the industrial estate according to Alan (on the phone) – 12:15pm
- Arrived at the Industrial Estate and then grabbed a cab to Gran Tarajal -3:30pm
- I was trying to get through by phone to Alan for ages, & eventually got through at 4:45pm. Turns out the Vodafone signal where he is, is beyond awful.
28.13 kilometers / 5 hours 52 minutes 8 seconds / Ave speed 4.8 kph / Top speed 6.2 kph / 2056 Calories burned
You can see where he walked HERE
HELP NEEDED!! Do any of you have contacts close to “Costa Calma”? Someone who can offer Alan a bed for the night tomorrow (Thursday)… somewhere he can plug in his phone for charging… and if possible a hot meal? Or in Morro Jable on Friday? If so, could you please telephone me (Elle) on 664085499 or email me on email@example.com. Every free night and meal helps keep the costs down. We are also seeking anyone who can help in Gran Canaria (contact me direct for the route). Thanks!
Once again a special thank you for the help we’ve received from the following individuals and companies;
- Mitch Mitchell – Lanzarote’s favourite personal trainer the ‘man in black’ for getting Alan’s fitness and stamina to optimum levels
- David White from Axia FX – for sponsoring Alan’s costs during the trek
- Ray from Agua Clara for paying for Alan’s water consumption during the trip
- Irma from Yaiza te Informa for all her help with the Spanish press
- Navira Armas – for sponsoring all ferry crossings during the charity walk
- … and of course to everyone who has donated sponsorship… and also prizes for the upcoming auction at Wax Bar
You can make a donation using the link below. And, if you’d like to offer some practical help here are a few ideas. Or, if you have some goods or talents you could contribute they’d be gratefully received for the Wax Bar charity auction. A list of the items available for the auction so far is HERE – and is updated as more lots are offered.